After my last blog post on the Spritz, let’s make a super fresh detox salad! This salad is perfect as a digestive after a heavy meal or it can be part of a detox diet. Even Gwenny would approve!
I love fennel! And I find that we are not using it enough in our dishes yet it is a vegetable with such a particular taste reminiscent of the anise that accompanies well meat, fish or even cheese. The fennel has been around since ancient times, cultivated for its medicinal virtues and today it remains prevalent in Mediterranean cuisine. It is very rich in vitamin C and B9 (folic acid), in antioxidants, and even contains iron and calcium. It is a very low calorie vegetable and is known to stimulate digestion. If you don’t have the time to prepare this salad, you can always serve some fennel cut in cubes after heavy plates with lamb or pork. My husband always serves us some after his copious couscous.
In this salad I mix the fennel with grapefruit, celery, radish, mint and parsley – all ingredients known to help digestion and eliminate toxins from our body.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 grapefruit peeled and cut in segments
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 2-3 celery sticks
- 5-6 radishes
- fresh mint
- fresh parsley
- 1 lemon
- Himalaya salt, freshly ground pepper
- very good quality olive oil
- a pinch of freshness
- Clean and dice the fennel and the celery sticks into cubes.
- Clean and slice the radish.
- Peel the grapefruit and dice in small pieces.
- In a salad bowl mix the vegetables with the grapefruit, add the finely chopped fresh mint and parsley. Pour over a vinaigrette made of lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Keep cool before serving.