I am a very summer person. I love the sun, the heat, longer days, tank tops and tanned skin. With the change of seasons I tend to brood over memories of bygone summer days and the passing of time… The crisp chilly morning air reminds me that summer really is over and it IS officially autumn… So to cheer myself up I make sure to exercise daily to have my brain produce loads of those good-for-the-soul endorphins, get as much greens and veggies in my diet as possible and make a conscious effort to notice all things beautiful around me – like the gorgeous colors this season brings.
Change of seasons of course also means change of ingredients in the kitchen! And I’m working on some great fall recipes! Look out for great ideas on how to prepare cauliflower, pattypan squash, beets, plums, pears and of course everything pumpkin – all coming soon!
So amidst all the preparation today I could only prepare a very quick lunch – but a real power lunch to keep me going for hours and I thought I’d share it with you.
All you need are a few leaves of kale and some chanterelle (girolle) mushrooms sautéed in olive oil and garlic. Add some spices like turmeric, cumin and of course some hot peperoncino, decorate with pomegranate seeds and you’ve got a healthy, filling lunch or light dinner cooked up in a couple of minutes. I also added a slice of bread with avocado and fresh sprouts (my own sprouting) to complete my meal. Now all these ingredients are a powerhouse of nutrients, good fats and antioxidants. Hope this inspires you to prepare something nutritious for you as well!
What you’ll need to serve 1:
- A good glug of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 100g (a few leaves) of kale, washed, dried and chopped up (only the leaves, not the stems)
- 80g of chanterelle, cleaned, and cut in large chunks
- a dash of turmeric, cumin and chili pepper
- Himalaya salt and pepper to taste
- a handful of pomegranates
- a dash of autumn colors
What you’ll need to do:
- In a pan heat the oil and saute the garlic for 1-2 minutes making sure not to burn them.
- Add the spices and let it saute for a minute more.
- Now add the kale and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, give it a good turn and cook a few minutes covered. Then take lid off and cook a couple of more minutes to let the liquid evaporate.
- Check if more salt is needed and serve on a large plate with pomegranates and sprouts.