If you’ve read my last post you know that things are pretty crazy in our home at the moment. I made a deep dive into decluttering the house and I’m truly startled at the quantity of junk we’ve accumulated over the last six years since we moved in here. I’ve already stuffed several bags of clothes, shoes, towels, bed linen and toys to give away, filled many garbage bags with all the possible junk imaginable ranging from never-used kitchen gadgets through perfume samples to dried-out pens, from dusty coloring books through old telephone chargers to all the broken things we thought we’d fix one day.
Moving from an apartment to a house a few years ago gave us the space we were so much longing for but the more square meters you’ve got, well, the more stuff you keep. I’m rediscovering how fantastic decluttering feels. My desk where I’m writing this now looks already more inviting just by having gotten rid of a dusty pile of various documents, invoices, magazines, letters to be saved or thrown away. By decluttering my work space it seems I’ve also decluttered my mind and it feels wonderful!
I’m thinking I should get Marie Kondo‘s book on tidying up (The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing) to further investigate this subject: she claims that changing the relationship with the stuff we own is a life altering event.
I also continue cleaning my pantry. I had some black rice left in the back of the shelf which is more of an expensive ingredient and which definitely should not go to waste. I made a quick vegan dinner by mixing this nutty-flavored, almost sweet rice with asparagus, green beans, cilantro, mint and lime.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but this color combo’s excellent: the striking blackness of the rice contrasts beautifully with the vivid green veggies. The flavor and texture are also exceptional, mind you. The crunchiness of the veggies, the freshness of cilantro, mint and lime accompanies well the deep, hazelnut tones of the creamy black rice. It’s fresh, it’s filling, it’s vegan, it’s gluten free. Perfect for lunch or dinner or even as a side dish for a larger meal!
What you’ll need for 2 persons:
- 100g black rice
- 200g asparagus
- 150g green beans
- a handful fresh cilantro and mint
For the dressing:
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tbs sesame oil
- ½ tbs apple cider vinegar
- juice of a fresh lime
- a few flakes of chili pepper or pepperoncino
- Himalaya salt and pepper to taste
What you’ll need to do:
- Rinse the rice in a sieve thoroughly in cold, running water. Then transfer to a saucepan, add water to cover the rice, (about 350-400ml) and with a pinch of salt bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the water, about 20-25 minutes. Let it cool.
- Meanwhile make your dressing by mixing the oils, vinegar, lime juice, salt, pepper and chili. You might end up with some extra dressing that you can use as salad dressing or for any other steamed vegetables.
- Meanwhile clean your veggies and steam them for just a short time. You don’t want them to be mushy so once you remove your vegetables from the steamer put them immediately in a bowl of ice-cold water for a couple of seconds to stop the cooking and they’ll keep their bright pretty green color and stay crunchy.
- Now that the rice has cooled season it with your dressing and transfer to a serving dish. Top the rice with the steamed asparagus and green beans that you had chopped into smaller pieces. Garnish with fresh mint and cilantro, add some more salt, pepper and lime juice according to taste and dive in. That’s it. Pretty simple and pretty amazing.