This has been months in the making. Loads of admin and paperwork to start with that lasted what seemed like forever, followed by days and days of decluttering and packing to finally watch the relocation company pack up our little house and all our belongings in a container in less than two days.
Well, then I also had to clean the house but that was the cerise sur le gâteau… after all that’s been done, getting the house clean and tidy seemed like a piece of cake. Strong emotions surged as we said goodbye to family and friends. Even closing the house was emotional, seeing my kitchen so empty gave the impression of a lonely, deserted house…
So how have I handled all this? We are what we eat, so the energy had to come from food! My main weapon’s been my freshly squeezed green juice. This is your basic green juice, nothing exotic, no fuss around shopping for ingredients.
The effect of this drink in amazing! In a couple of minutes highly concentrated vitamins, minerals and enzymes enter the bloodstream, making you feel energized and focused. Yes, I know, the clean-up after juicing is tedious. One more coffee or an energy drink would be way easier but believe you me this drink surpasses any caffeinated sugary drink! No jitters, no heartburn, no dehydration, no sleepless nights from overdose, only that much needed pep in your step throughout the day. The juice is made of mostly green veggies with just enough sweetness from an apple to make the green leaves palatable plus some lemon and ginger to further improve the taste.
I’ve also indulged in a couple of times in a green smoothie made with almond milk. This is a much sweeter, more caloric drink that you could have for breakfast or as a meal replacement. Full of vitalizing goodness like spinach, maca powder and nuts ‘n seeds, it’s great when you’re short on time but need your mojo back just before the finish line.
And now that we’ve arrived to Cape Town emotions overflow again as we start a new chapter of our lives. I’ll be posting photos as we discover this magnificent city and its surroundings along with, of course, my culinary adventures. Hope you join me on this journey! As a starter, here are a few photos of Sea Point where we are staying while finding a permanent place to live and our belongings are shipped. Cheers to new beginnings!
What you’ll need for the green juice:
- a big bunch of large leafy greens like spinach, green romaine, swiss chard or kale, leaves rinsed thoroughly
- 5-6 sticks of celery
- 1 cucumber, washed and peeled if not organic
- a thumb-size ginger, peeled
- half a lemon
- 1 or 2 apples, according to taste, cut in quarters
- a heaping cup of moxie
What you’ll need to do:
- Choose organic vegetables and fruits when available and if budget permits. Prepare all your ingredients by washing them thoroughly.
- Grab your juicer and juice everything, including the entire half a lemon with the skin as well. That’s why you need to get lemon that was not treated with chemicals after harvest! You can prepare larger batches, store in glass jars that you fill up to the rim and refrigerate immediately to slow down oxidation.
What you’ll need for the green smoothie:
- 3 large handfuls of spinach
- 200ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 apple
- 1/2 frozen or fresh banana
- 20g nuts and seeds (I used walnuts, brazil nuts and pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs flax seed oïl
What you’ll need to do:
Place all the ingredients in your high-speed blender and blend until smooth.