If you’re following me on social media, you know I’ve been having some fun with all the gorgeous fruit available here at the moment.
All play and no work, you say? Don’t judge so fast, the result of all the play is this lovely winter fruit salad. I prepared a big batch as we were invited to lunch at a friend’s house this weekend, and had there been any leftovers, it would’ve made a great dessert in my husband’s lunchbox on Monday. You see, the longer you let the fruits marinate in the syrup, the more boost you get in flavors! So if you give my recipe a try, make sure to prepare it a day in advance to let all the amazing fresh fruit soak up the gingery-zesty marinade.
To serve 8-10 persons I used:
- 500ml water
- 3 tbs light brown sugar
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out
- zest of half a lemon
- zest of half an orange
- 1 large ripe papaya
- 1 small pineapple
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 firm bananas
- 3 oranges
- 2 ripe kiwis
- 5-6 kumquats
- 1 star fruit
- a handful of pomegranate seeds
What you’ll need to do :
1. Fill a small saucepan with water, add the sugar, ginger slices, wide strips of lemon and orange zest and the vanilla bean and seeds. (I unfortunately couldn’t find vanilla bean here so used vanilla powder) Bring the sugary syrup to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Let it cool down then refrigerate.
2. Clean well, then peel and dice your fruits: papaya, pineapple, mango, bananas, kiwis and oranges. For the oranges I attemped to clean the segments from the connective membrane but the truth is, I gave up towards the end of my second orange. Do your best. For the kumquats, I halved them, removed the seeds then diced them into very small pieces. They’re rather bitter, so I didn’t add a lot in the salad.
3. Take the syrup from the fridge, remove the zest and ginger slices (and your vanilla bean) and pour the juice over the fruits. Mix well. Slice the star fruit and add to decorate along with the pomegranate seed. Refrigerate overnight.
Today’s bonus photos are shots taken during my walks in our neighborhood. Still without a car, I continue walking a lot which allows me to see details I would otherwise not have a chance to spot. Ripening passion fruit hanging over the walls of a house, an amazing entrance door and after the rain the teenist tiniest snail we’ve ever seen (that’s my daughter’s shoe)!