The months of October through December is strawberry season in the Western Cape. And we love that!
There are several strawberry farms who offer ‘pick your own fruit’ visits. This can be a great family weekend program that allows kids (and adults) to be more in touch with nature and understand where our produce comes from (not from the supermarket!). And imagine doing this in the magnificent Stellenbosch area with mountains and vineyards as far as the eye can see!
These photos were taken at the Mooiberge Strawberry Farm that is known for its fun colorful decoration, visible to everyone driving by on the highway.
We’ve been having strawberries and cream for dessert so many times these last few weeks that I thought it was high time to do something different with these red gems. So I made this cobbler with almonds, pistachios and a touch of ginger that turned out really mouthwatering.
What you’ll need to serve 8:
- 150g flour
- 100g cold butter
- 2tsp baking powder
- 50g crushed unblanched almonds
- 25g crushed pistachio
- 100g sugar
- 750g strawberries
- 40g almond meal (ground almonds)
- 70g caster sugar
- 1 thumb size ginger
- ½ vanilla bean or 2 tsp vanilla powder
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking powder and the cold chunks of butter with your hand. Then add the sugar and crushed nuts. Mix well.
- In another bowl mix well the cleaned, hulled strawberries with the caster sugar, almond meal and vanilla. Clean and grate the ginger and squeeze its juice out onto the mixture. Mix again. Put the mixture in an ovenproof pie dish.
- Cover evenly the strawberry mixture with your flower mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven 35-40 minutes . I like to put a baking sheet under the pie dish in case any strawberry juice overflows, it’s much easier to clean up after baking.
- Let it cool slightly and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or enjoy as is.
Before it goes into the oven:
Out from the oven: