So this little salad here is gonna rock your world. If you’re tired of the same ol’ same ol’ healthy thing because well, yes, you do wanna eat clean and all, but your taste buds are looking for something new…fear no more, this recipe is for you! The boring chopped salad is moving on out and this Asian-inspired chopped salad is moving in!
Why? Well, because it’s easy to prepare. No complicated ingredients. It’s crunchy. It really is just tasty. It’s in compliance with eat-the-rainbow requirements and all those colors lighten up any dinner table. No nasty stuff in it, it’s good for you. And it’s lunchboxable!!!! Without wilting and sagging!!! That, my friends, is the best part. Because you’ll definitely want to eat the leftovers next day.
Here I prepared it for lunch with some Swedish crackers dressed with smoked trout and hummus. You can also serve it as a side salad to steaks rubbed in Asian spices. As for the dressing, I didn’t go overboard with lots of ingredients but prepared a simple mustard-vinegar dressing (I used ACV for its health benefits but you can swap that for white wine vinegar) and added a touch of soy sauce, sesame oil and grated ginger.
What you’ll need:
- a small head of Romaine lettuce
- 2 large carrots
- 4-5 radishes
- ½ cucumber
- 2-3 small spring onions
- a large handful of fresh coriander
- a small handful of fresh mint
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 1 tbs sunflower seeds
- 30g cashew nuts
- a dash of fun
For the dressing:
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1tsp fresh grated ginger
- salt and pepper
What you’ll need to do:
1. Put nuts and seeds in a small frying pan with moderate heat. Turning regularly, toast them until golden in color. Watch out not to burn them. Now you can start chopping.
2. Clean and chop lettuce, radish and cucumber. Peel and grate carrots. Clean and finely chop spring onions. Clean and chop your herbs.
4. Add all chopped ingredients in a salad bowl, mix in the dressing and top with toasted nuts and seeds.